Forgotten World Highway
Forgotten World Highway is for all to experience – Tramp or Cycle and See it
Non walking tour and day walks with experienced guides
Non Walking tour
Visit Aotuhia, Bridge to Somewhere, Te Wera Arboretum and Whangamomona. Extras can be included i.e. Forgotten World Highway and Mt Damper Falls (74m) visits.
Dined lunch (Country hospitality) and refreshments included. Design your own.
- Price depends on numbers from $60.00 per person.
- Cycle options also available – Design your own with our back up of transport, also see our cycle tour page – suggestions are:
- Cycle the Forgotten World Highway to Whangamomona (64kms) and we pick you up
- Cycle to Makahu Farmstay (42kms) for the night and we will deliver your gear – Makahu is a valley off the Forgotten World Highway, you turn at 30kms along the highway at Strathmore, then 12kms into this lovely valley. Farming hospitality at its best.
- Visit gardens by bike – suggested route advised
Whangamomona Road (5 hour)
This is an 18km (5 hour) easy grade walk from Aotuhia, beginning at Bridge To Somewhere to Whangamomona Village, and includes two tunnels, historic bridges and loads of history.
Mountain Biking 20kms to Whangamomona is also possible
Your own day pack and lunch are required. Price is for transport to Aotuhia and from Whangamomona to Stratford and will depend on numbers attending.
Bridge to Nowhere (11 hours)
A big 11 hour day. From Taranaki be transported to Pipirki via the Wanganui River Road, Jetboat to the landing, walk 30 minutes to the bridge and return. A day to remember for a lifetime!
Includes lunch, jetboat ride and transport. Include it as an extra day to your Eastern Taranaki Experience trip. Ask us about Waitotara and trains hut day trip. Design your own for 4-20 people
- $250.00 pp (min 6 – maximum 20)
For more information, please contact us
CYCLING THE FORGOTTEN WORLD HIGHWAY
We can offer full support for you to cycle the entire highway (either direction) Type of services we can provide are:
- Transport bikes and people to one end, safe storage of your car as you return on the bikes
- Car transfer – have your vehicle waiting for you at the other end
- Luggage/food drop off at any point you require
- Design your own trip and ask us how we can help
3 Day – 2 night Highlight Tour Forgotten World Highway
Arrive in Stratford for a nights stay at Digs’ Homestay – if you are here by 1pm a complimentary afternoon outing is arranged. Dinner is self cater or dine out – own cost
Experience the delights and history of The Forgotten World Highway. We depart at 9am begin the first heritage trial in New Zealand. First stop is Douglas Brickworks site the onto Te Wera for morning tea – learn about the forestry history and visit the camp site (now an Education Centre) The highway then leads to the historic village of Whangamomona, time to wander around the village and enjoy lunch at the hotel. We then make our way further east to the heart of the Tangarakau Gorge and visit the 74m Mt Damper Falls in the lovely Moki Forest area. Our night stay is in a remote and secluded valley off the highway in a renovated quaint cottage where your 2 course evening meal will be prepared for you.
We make our way back to Stratford along the Forgotten World Highway with a side trip to the Makahu area and drive through the 166m Makahu Tunnel. After morning tea and a chat with a local farming couple we follow a back country road before joining with the highway again. Tour finishes approx. 1pm with lunch at a local café.
2 people – total price $1,100.00 ($550pp)
4 people – total price $1,600.00 ($400pp)
Includes 2 nights accommodation (full linen Queen or Twin rooms) as outlined, all transport in air conditioned vehicle, all meals from Breakfast day 2 to Lunch day 3.
There is also the option to stay at the Whangamomona Hotel for dinner, bed, breakfast deal, on first or second night, for additional $60 per person on above prices.